Thursday 14 May 2009

Legs like a little boys

This has been a great riding week so far, I'm going back to my roots!
At Herne Hill on Saturday I had a good training ride, I stayed riding for about an hr and a half but packed it in before the races started. It was particularly exciting this week because Sam Hart, a London fixie rider, came down to take portrait photographs for Cooler Magazine. I also had a stall set up. The sun didn't exactly shine, but it was warm and pleasant enough. There were a good few girls riding, and a very friendly gang they were indeed.
And if I hadn't had enough, I got on my BMX and headed over to the rollapaluza photoshoot that evening. I raced against the legendary Estelle, who is immensley strong and probably unbeatable. I was well happy with my first ride where I did 23.98 seconds, albeit accompanied by yelping noises that I couldn't control. For those of you who aren't aware of Rollapaluza visit www.rollapaluza.com. They hold races on static bikes that are rigged up to a timer, 2 people race at a time, side by side. A crowd gathers around and scream at you to ride faster and harder until you think you are going to die. It is without doubt the most painful thing I have ever done. Its wicked! See the "making of" pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativeexposures/sets/72157617858194081/
At the back of the studio I got chatting to lots of cool people, who were all bike fanatics. We practised tricks on the fixed wheels and BMX's lying around, and I still have a beautiful bruise on my knee from it.

When playing badminton in the garden on Sunday it was pointed out to me that I have legs like a little boys, with their fading yellow bruises, giant new purple bruises and cuts and scratches.

For the rest of the week I have been working from home. Spending countless hours on the internet and making phonecalls. Which reminds me, I need to call the dentist. To keep me sane and to clear my head I went out for a BMX ride on Tuesday. I think that there is a bug (no, not swine flu) going around, and I barely had eaten anything when I went out. My mate Deke and I explored the local area, now that we can't go to our local skatepark because people, Deke included, keep getting attacked by a gang with knives. We found some halfpipes dotted around the place and a run down dirt-jump place in the woods. I decided to try and clear a small gap jump, it really was tiny, but the gap on the other side although it wasn't wide was very deep, you could almost call it a void. I reckon. So I amped myself up and gunned it down the start slope, pulling up massively in a panic. I landed on my back wheel, which rolled out from beneath me and I dropped cartoon-style onto my bum and coxix. I nearly cried, but was too winded to get the tears out. After that, combined with not having eaten, I got very shakey and we decided to call it a day and head to Deke's mums house, who brought us tea, buscuits, sweets and breadpudding.

I headed to Crystal Palace in the evening to watch my big bro and my Dad race. I also wanted to talk the girls there into doing the Smithfield Nocturne. Rebecca Charlton and I came to a "if you will, I will" arrangement, and have managed to convice a few others to give it a go. It will be my first race in 8 years! I should get some training in, and stop just messing around trying to do tricks.

Although Thursday night is BMX night at Skaterham, so I suppose I'll have to start training another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment